We invite your participation in the second annual IGDA Leadership Forum, focused on advancing the state of the art in game production and management. This event is valuable for producers, discipline leads, project managers, studio directors, and all others seeking to become better leaders, create successful games, and learn from other working professionals in the game industry.
The first IGDA Leadership Forum was a smashing success with top rated sessions by Don Daglow (Stormfront Studios), Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk (BioWare), Tim Schafer (Double-Fine), Mike Capps (Epic Games) and Clinton Keith (ex High Moon Studios). And, we welcomed 300+ delegates from over 15 countries, including the UK, Finland, India and Australia.
The 2008 IGDA Leadership Forum is EXPANDING its session offerings so we can encompass a broad range of leadership topics, including personal leadership, project leadership and management leadership. The sessions will run in parallel tracks and will consist of a mix of lectures, panels, and interactive workshop sessions.
Personal Leadership sessions will cover the skills we all need to be successful leaders, such as:
- effective communication
- entrepreneurialism and taking initiative
- persuasion and making ideas stick
- personality analysis (Myers-Briggs, etc)
- handling challenging situations/conflict
- personal time management and “life hacking”
- career planning
- “personal MBA”
Project Leadership sessions will focus on the nuts and bolts of game production, such as:
- development methodologies and best practices
- risk assessment and analysis
- scheduling and scoping techniques
- pipeline optimization
- pre-production and prototyping
- post-mortems and case studies
- outsourcing and remote development
Management Leadership sessions will cover broader scale topics that go beyond a single team or project, such as:
- multi-team/site management
- company culture and sharing a core vision
- motivation and morale
- hiring and retention strategies
- 3rd party relationship management
- studio lifecycle planning and scaling
- HR best practices
- quality of life
- workforce development/training
The Program Committee welcomes session proposals from qualified speakers for all three areas. Please send an informal email proposal, with the topic(s) and format(s) of interest and qualifications, to leadership-forum[at]igda.org by May 1st.
The Committee also welcomes suggestions for session topics and feedback on what would interest prospective attendees.
We appreciate your help in growing the IGDA Leadership Forum for 2008!
- Heather Chandler
Chair, Program Committee
Executive Producer, Media Sunshine